• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:13 AM

Took a couple of days off work and headed North to a little lake I know for some spec fishing and get the boat out.

Pouring rain Saturday evening but we still went to check things out even missing my rain gear. I got three nice specs on bright spinners smaller size but big enough to cast from a boat.

Monday we took the 4 year old with us on his first big boy fishing trip (kept him good the night before). He caught his first fish all by himself. Picked the lure cast the lure and reeled his fish in himself.  Sunglasses and a hood are considered safety equipment now.

Monday was all worm and float for me, anyone who's taken a kid can understand that. He liked to cast all day and it was his day so cast away little one and I sat with a float and worm. Used a tiny tiny piece of worm about 6ft down and within minutes a fish would be nibbling.

You had to set the hook because we were joking they were taking the split shot and running because until we started setting a hook they always took the float for a trip and would got off.

Monday we got into about 30 nice fish in about four hours of rain rain and more cold rain.

We kept a couple but we did the check to see if they were female and none were when they got cleaned at home base.

This fish is on the slightly bigger side of average that we were catching.

And while we were packing up to head home he was still on the bank casting. 

YAWNSPEC.jpg

#2 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

Great story and glad your little guy had a blast. Brook trout are delicious in the frying pan no doubt about that. I'm just curious to know how did you make the distinguish between male and female when you made to camp.

#3 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

I'm just the fun uncle who catch's big fish. And I don't personally keep or eat fish myself.

My brother feels there belly and can tell if there loaded with eggs or not.

#4 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

You wouldn't find any eggs in those fish because they spawn in the fall.

#5 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

Not always true there were a few we caught that were loaded down with eggs. I thought the same thing but I'm telling you there were some real fat chunky females around still waiting to drop there eggs.