5 replies to this topic

#1 finnigan

finnigan

Sunfish

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

Hello ladies and gents.

So the old ladies dad is coming up this weekend and bringing his boat and would like to fish Simcoe for bass. I'd like to at least get him on a few fish so it's not a total wasted trip for him. The only problem is I don't own a boat so I have no idea where to start. Lol

Ideally we'd like to launch in kempenfelt because I live in Barrie but may end up going to fish cooks bay or the islands instead if I don't find any spots in Barrie.

Anywho I'm just curious if anybody would be generous enough to possibly PM me a general area in kempenfelt that usually holds some decent smallies. Not asking for any honey holes just a place to start as I have no experience fishing lady Simcoe for bass via boat.

Thanks for any help what so ever as I'm literally going in blind here but want to make the best of the day for the old fella

#2 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

https://webapp.navio...&key=gh|mG|vieN

There are a couple markers for smallies already on the map, this time of year they can be pretty spread out. You should be looking for shallow flats that have access to deeper water close by. We like to drop the trolling motor and cruise around 6-10ft of water casting search baits, if we see anything great if not back out onto the first break. Smallmouth for the most part are a pack fish, its rare to come across one solo. 

Hope this helps, if you do decide to go to the other side of the lake pm me I have a small milk run I give friends 

#3 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

I would think you want to be around the islands in cooks but i'm sure there's a bunch hanging out in the shallower end of Kemp near Barrie.

#4 Originalfives

Originalfives

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:40 PM

Some beauties to be had on Simcoe. Work the shallows and then out deeper. Good luck!

#5 Adamthedrummer

Adamthedrummer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

I find smallmouth really active in the shallows at dawn in every lake. Also at dusk.

#6 finnigan

finnigan

Sunfish

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:12 PM

Thanks guys. We found a few fish in the flats on either side of kbay so it wasn't a total bust thanks to everyone's help.

Next time we will prob make the trip down to cooks bay in hopes of improving our numbers.