• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:44 PM

Hi everyone, I have tried to find an answer for this online and the truth is that I got zero results. I heard that it's actually illegal here in Ontario to lift up a sewer drain, (catch basin) but my searches on google have not been able to prove that. This is something that I have always been curious about due to the viral sewer fishing videos in the states. So let's try to come up with some answers because we could have hidden creeks right under our feet, so as fisherman it's our duty to investigate right? That being said I have a few questions I'm hoping you smart guys and girls can answer.

LAWS .Most people don't know that the catch basins (street square sewer drains) are not bolted to the ground, they are just very heavy. As said earlier is it illegal to lift these things? I would think its okay because sometimes the public might want to clean them so thus no law. But if there is a law then that would also make sense because that's what the city workers would get paid for. I looked up this on the Brantford website and yes these storm drainage water sewers are connected to waterways, for brantford anyways.

SURVIVAL. Most of these videos in the states have the sewers connected to a pond or River, the rain drainage goes into the spot like a creek. So that's why and how the fish are in the sewers it seems. For example the fish whisperer you tuber has said the same thing about his sewer fishing videos. Would perhaps the temperature be too cold in the creeks for warm water species? Would there be a lack of light that fish would hate? Or would the fish never have any interest in going in these creeks due to a lack of food, other than maybe instinct to spawn in a creek? I want some facts for this urban legend because crazy crap Ike crap like this has always given me thrills and awe.

EXPERINCE? If anyone has actually gotten brave enough to test this out please don't be shy in saying so. Any help in this area would be nice before the curiosity kills me and I go around causing a spectacle searching the sewers for fish 😂😂

#2 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

:huh:  Flushed my pet goldfish Nemo down the crapper once, Bathurst/St. Clair area

#3 Bowie

Bowie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

Hi everyone, I have tried to find an answer for this online and the truth is that I got zero results. I heard that it's actually illegal here in Ontario to lift up a sewer drain, (catch basin) but my searches on google have not been able to prove that. This is something that I have always been curious about due to the viral sewer fishing videos in the states. So let's try to come up with some answers because we could have hidden creeks right under our feet, so as fisherman it's our duty to investigate right? That being said I have a few questions I'm hoping you smart guys and girls can answer.

LAWS .Most people don't know that the catch basins (street square sewer drains) are not bolted to the ground, they are just very heavy. As said earlier is it illegal to lift these things? I would think its okay because sometimes the public might want to clean them so thus no law. But if there is a law then that would also make sense because that's what the city workers would get paid for. I looked up this on the Brantford website and yes these storm drainage water sewers are connected to waterways, for brantford anyways.

I'm 99.9% sure it would be illegal to lift the drain covers as there would be major liability issues. Call the city/municipality and call the non-emergency police line, it's the only way to know for sure.

#4 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

Hmm, ok good point.

#5 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

Talk about urban fishing......anyway I wouldn't give up my sewer ice fishing spots to nobody.

#6 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

Gator infested around here.
Lot of missing fisherman .

#7 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:59 PM

Haha that's funny. Well that's what I do, and love the urban fishing stories. It's real in the states so why wouldn't it be here?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sewer, cach basin, bass, drain, Ontario, urban, retention ponds, ponds, creeks, fishing