• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JCRG

JCRG

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:24 PM

Does anybody here target our pacific great lakes salmon on the swing? Had a massive take today that nearly ripped the rod out of my hand...but broke it off on the hook set. Wondering if anybody gets them on the swing on a regular basis?

#2 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

Yes its a pretty effective method, using big intruder style flies can certainly pay off when a big aggressive salmon eats. The hardest part is finding appropriate water to swing.... I tend to run a 20lb mono leader as shock leader  and always keep 18-24 inchs of line loose ready to pay out when I get hit.

#3 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

I am glad to come across this post!

I am getting into it this year/ Season, And any tips would be appreciated!

What is "appropriate" water for swinging?

#4 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

Last fall I had a few good takes in a smaller trib on black woolly buggers (size 6 if I remember correctly).

But like IR4J said - be ready with some slack and don't underestimate the power of those fish even when they're getting pretty dark. I had a 9'-6" 7-wt with a 14 lb leader (great setup for throwing decently large flies) but realized I was way undergunned on my first fish. Any little obstruction in the river and you're done. I'd recommend an 8-wt at the very least.

#5 JCRG

JCRG

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:34 PM

Yes its a pretty effective method, using big intruder style flies can certainly pay off when a big aggressive salmon eats. The hardest part is finding appropriate water to swing.... I tend to run a 20lb mono leader as shock leader  and always keep 18-24 inchs of line loose ready to pay out when I get hit.

Yeah I'm gonna have to up my tippet, I was using 12 lb and it snapped like it was 7X. Thanks for the tip. This fish hit at the tailout of a long pool behind a couple of boulders. Do you look for anything specific in the water that you swing? Or is it just trial and error to find those areas where they seem to be more aggresive?

#6 JCRG

JCRG

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

Last fall I had a few good takes in a smaller trib on black woolly buggers (size 6 if I remember correctly).

But like IR4J said - be ready with some slack and don't underestimate the power of those fish even when they're getting pretty dark. I had a 9'-6" 7-wt with a 14 lb leader (great setup for throwing decently large flies) but realized I was way undergunned on my first fish. Any little obstruction in the river and you're done. I'd recommend an 8-wt at the very least.

Thanks for the tip. I'm using a 6/7 switch right now

#7 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:51 AM

Havent landed any yet this year but have had several takes on blue and black intruders....yesterday morning i tried swinging with no luck but hooked a monster on a pheasant tail nymph....watched it swim from 10ft away to smash my fly

#8 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

Havent landed any yet this year but have had several takes on blue and black intruders....yesterday morning i tried swinging with no luck but hooked a monster on a pheasant tail nymph....watched it swim from 10ft away to smash my fly

That's awesome! Sounds like pretty low/clear water then?

#9 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

Actually it was pretty murky.....you can see the "v" in the surface as they chase down the fly it gets me every time

#10 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'm using a 6/7 switch right now

depends on how savvy you are with your fly and reel, I'm using 8wt 9'6" rod and still struggle on the initial run...beaded woolies are the only fly i use for salmon. black or olive. so far I've caught 7 this week only, non landed....include burnt finger just because i'm too stubborn to even wear gloves...

#11 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

For me appropriate water is no less then walking speed current, some good depth to allow the fly to swing without lining fish. Tailouts are generally a good option as they often have the fresher fish to the pool.. A 10ft 8 wt is a good start for most water around here, on the bigger tribs stepping up to a switch or spey is definitely recommended. I rarely fish anything more then an intermediate tip as an angry salmon will move a surprising distance to eat a swung fly.

As previously mentioned Im fishing 20 lb mono straight off that tip, usually around 4-6 ft