28 replies to this topic

#1 Zathorious

Zathorious

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

Hi Guy's,

I started fishing earlier this year and love it, though its tough from shore.

I bought a canoe and haven't really gone fishing with it yet.

How effective would it be if I bought a 14-16ft with a 9.9hp on it be for fishing? Will I notice a great difference between that and the canoe?

Thanks!

#2 Beads

Beads

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:05 PM

Ány boat is better Than a canoe, unless your portaging...wind on a lake with canoe lots of work...9.9 hp good depending and body of water. Smaller-mid size lakes good...big lakes not the best.

#3 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:54 AM

I spent most of my time fishing from a canoe this year and i can honestly say im ready for an upgrade....5+ hours in a canoe can take its toll on the body...not to mention if you dont have a trolling motor and a drift sock on your canoe you can count out most days to fish as most lakes will be too rough

#4 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

If the goal you have is simply pulling the best fish out of the water, hands down you need a boat. I simply go out and kayak without my rod at times but most of the time, I'd like to drop a line when I get to some ideal spots. Paddling is fun and relaxing to be out on calm water just drifting and basking. Looking for some ideal spots that looks great for fishing. Now if you're out for blood for record bass or pike...boat will get you to the prime spots without fooling around.

#5 fishfight

fishfight

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:51 PM

Buy the biggest possible engine that a boat could use, power is never enough when you fish, we want to be able to get from one spot to another to explore. I was able to maximize my boat usage and skied on it with my children. 

You also need:

1. To be mechanically inclined to fix minors issues on a used boat , otherwise you will get overcharge or gouge by unnecessary repair . Many mechanics cannot be  trusted these days. With today's DIY youtube world and available resources, easier to fix anything these days then ever.

2. Lots of good deals across the US border or up north in buying anything used. Easy to bring them over here, and pay your duty taxes. Always ask the right question before you even show up, and you should test the boat before you buy one. Slow and non fishing season are always the best time to buy a boat. It is a buyers market in terms of buying a boat.  

3. You need to consider storage , towing ability of your vehicle, and the needed maintenance.

4. Lots of accessories to acquire and add to a boat, electronics or down-rigging accessories can all add up to the cost of boating these days. Overnight hotel stay and food expenses are all added cost to a boat fishing trip. 

5. Depending on your street smartness and being adventurous, boat fishing is not necessary more efficient then shore fishing, from financial and time usage perspective. 

#6 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

I'd rather sit on a boat and drift then run around the shoreline on foot trying to find the fish.

#7 jeffheartofsteel

jeffheartofsteel

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

Hi Guy's,

I started fishing earlier this year and love it, though its tough from shore.

I bought a canoe and haven't really gone fishing with it yet.

How effective would it be if I bought a 14-16ft with a 9.9hp on it be for fishing? Will I notice a great difference between that and the canoe?

Thanks!

I think they both have their pros and cons. It depends what kind of places you mostly fish at. A canoe at a large lake is not a good experience. 

For me, i mostly use a canoe since i go backcountry camping. If i ever want to go to a lake, i just a rent a boat. There is usually a boat rental somewhere on the lake.

With a canoe you can portage to places where boats can't, and these areas always hold fish. There was one area my friend and i went to up north, and we were at a point where we just tried different lures to see if we can catch them with it because we just caught so many....

I always have a partner that comes with me on the canoe trips, and we always have an anchor for the canoe. The anchor is a must have! It gets very annoying after a few casts and then realize you are at the shore.

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

Always remember...boat is never an investment. Don't expect to get more in return for what you paid for.

#9 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:40 PM

Sometimes its also good to just invest in a good pair of waders!

#10 frank25

frank25

Sunfish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:36 AM

Buy the biggest possible engine that a boat could use, power is never enough when you fish, we want to be able to get from one spot to another to explore. I was able to maximize my boat usage and skied on it with my children. 

You also need:

1. To be mechanically inclined to fix minors issues on a used boat , otherwise you will get overcharge or gouge by unnecessary repair . Many mechanics cannot be  trusted these days. With today's DIY youtube world and available resources, easier to fix anything these days then ever.

2. Lots of good deals across the US border or up north in buying anything used. Easy to bring them over here, and pay your duty taxes. Always ask the right question before you even show up, and you should test the boat before you buy one. Slow and non fishing season are always the best time to buy a boat. It is a buyers market in terms of buying a boat.  

3. You need to consider storage , towing ability of your vehicle, and the needed maintenance.

4. Lots of accessories to acquire and add to a boat, electronics or down-rigging accessories can all add up to the cost of boating these days. Overnight hotel stay and food expenses are all added cost to a boat fishing trip. 

5. Depending on your street smartness and being adventurous, boat fishing is not necessary more efficient then shore fishing, from financial and time usage perspective. 

Well said Josh i myself had my share of con men sabotaging my outfit wish i had them on video every time they did so.

#11 frank25

frank25

Sunfish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:05 PM

I got ur message Josh, as for harvesting fish i only did it this summer while @ the cabin since it was walleye & i saw them feeding on fast moving minnows in boq & not musk rats & frogs like other species do. I did ice fishing a few times on rice but we didn't catch anything also i dont like fishing in that cold. My only passion now is overnight stay on boq & trolling for walleye if ur interested next spring we can do & outing.

#12 Zathorious

Zathorious

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

Hi Guy's

Thank you for all of the responses, I really appreciate it.

I have been having debates with a few people about how much a 9.9hp on a 14-16ft tinner with trailer should cost.

Some say $1500, some say $2500.

Are these realistic prices?

Thanks!

#13 Symmetre

Symmetre

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:18 PM

Short answer is, it depends. Here's two 14 foot boats, both made by Lund. One weighs 100 pounds more than the other one, and is a much better made boat. And yes, it costs more. Like, almost twice as much as the lighter one.

http://www.lundboats...-models/ssv-14/

http://www.lundboats...at-models/a-14/

That's why some people say $1500 and some say $2500. They're not all the same.

#14 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

Don’t forget , you always “ get what you paid for “ .

#15 Zathorious

Zathorious

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

My real question is, is $1500 $2500 going to get me anything worth having? How much do I need to spend to have my first functional small fishing boat?

#16 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

If you drive up cottage areas any time after snow melt you can find some deals on the side of the roads. Lots of older folks like to get rid of their stuff the old fashioned way just a "for sale " sign.

#17 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:07 PM

Ha ha
You can spend that on a new bike.
Deals are out there on boat, motor ,trailer.
Hell, even new your taking chances.
My advice.
Just as most people do, buying a used car.
Have a reputable marine or auto mechanic check it out for you.
Might cost you a couple hundred.
But you've just bought something reliable.
Good luck bud.

#18 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

Even before you go look at something.
Make sure you point out you have a mechanic that'll be checking this purchase out .
You'll be amazed how much the asking price falls before even getting there. Lol

#19 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

And without saying.
Put her in the water. He ha

#20 Zathorious

Zathorious

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

Ha ha
You can spend that on a new bike.
Deals are out there on boat, motor ,trailer.
Hell, even new your taking chances.
My advice.
Just as most people do, buying a used car.
Have a reputable marine or auto mechanic check it out for you.
Might cost you a couple hundred.
But you've just bought something reliable.
Good luck bud.

I appreciate the advice, how do you have the mechanic check it for you without buying it?

Thanks!