Photo

Is highway 60 in Algonquin Park that Bad?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:06 PM

Hahahaha , dam right you should have shot it earlier. Dam French guys.....

#22 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

This thread got me a little interested so I did some research. There is not much information and I have come to the conclusion that driving 4+ hours (depending on where you are), gas, going through all the trouble to find a nice spot, in hopes to catch a few trout is just a waste of time. Just my opinion tho

#23 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

Exploring this beautiful country of ours is never a waste of time. Doing the leg work can be tiring but the rewards can be worthwhile.

#24 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

Exploring this beautiful country of ours is never a waste of time. Doing the leg work can be tiring but the rewards can be worthwhile.

I guess thats true.

Maybe canoeing down the Oxtongue River is a good option.

#25 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:16 PM

I think the main reason I want to explore Algonquin is because of my parents. Growing up they always told me how much I would love it there, and now that my buddy and I are old enough to deal with a road trip like that, that's why I am eager to go. I don't expect world class fishing, my username is fishing URBAN Ontario, not fishing wilderness Ontario . Also the area is known for good trout fishing. Ontario out of doors rated the spot #6 for an Ontario brookie trip because of all the lakes there. Also there is a lake in the park with the highest concentration of lake trout in all of Ontario. Plus, stocked Splake! How cool would it be to catch a hybrid fish! I did a survey on Instagram about the fishing and only 14% of fisherman caught brookies along highway 60, so now I guess I just have to adjust my expectations and turn this into a laker trip. Which honestly is fine because I've never caught one before and I already have a brookie episode on my channel. I also have a chance of catching a bear or moose on my trail am which is awesome. I also want highway 60 because while I'm there I want to create YouTube videos to show what people should expect from a fishing trip there, which would probably get a lot of hits too. I have mapped out already every single photo on YouTube, Ontario out of doors forum, and Instagram with a Algonquin catch, with the location attached, on the my maps option on my google maps profile. So I guess you could say I am developIng my own homemade fishbrain for the park. I am totally seeing patterns in which lakes people like near the highway and which are garbage. So I find it very unlikely that the trip is going to fall flat on its face. Ive heard that even if we get skunked that the scenery and nature there is so awesome it will feel worth the trip. I would love to go portaging overnight but I honestly do think it's the wisest course this year with my circumstances (which I don't have to explain), to not. But once again if anyone has any information about the highway 60 area please tell it! Also nothing on catching splakes? Surely someone has caught them before. They stock the ponds with them and no one here has caught one?

#26 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:23 PM

i sent you a pm fishing urban ontario

#27 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:48 PM

Hey. Don't get me wrong.
But you sound like your interested in the fish.
I'll head into the park and just be satisfied in seeing black bear, moose and beaver .
Down wind one day and my buddy paddles us so close to a bull moose it scared the crap out of me.
Those things are huge.
In thick mud to his chest and he walked through it like a plain water puddle.
He ha
Awesome
And taking the time to travel 17 all fish caught keepers and filling.
Mmmmmmm

#28 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

Hey TI why drive to Algonquin to see beavers and cougars when you have them right at your doorstep hahahahahah.

#29 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

Hey TI why drive to Algonquin to see beavers and cougars when you have them right at your doorstep hahahahahah.

Well yeah of course I am going there with the idea of mainly fishing. But my point was that with a journey to Algonquin is a reward in itself right, the journey there is just as good. That kind of thing.

Anyways, nobody has ever caught a Splake on here? Somebody say something about them to help me out!

#30 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

Ha ha ha
How are you still married?

#31 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:41 PM

Anyways, nobody has ever caught a Splake on here? Somebody say something about them to help me out!

The most frustrating fish to catch you will ever chase.  But hey, brookies and splake take you to some spectacular places

#32 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

I only fish one lake for Splake and its located in Bancroft. I have caught only 3 in the past 5 years. 2 in the spring and one on the ice. Spring time in the shallows on lipless crankbaits . Winter,  just a minnow on a hook and a split shot. I have tried in the summer as well but they are hard to locate. Mind you me and my group never did target them , just cast and retrieve looking for Pike and Bass. My buddy has a cottage on that lake and he can talk Splake all day but he only has one to show after 5 years on the lake.

#33 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:23 AM

Another question for this page. Is it illegal to portage on logging roads in the park? Specifally the ones to the wildlife research centre and ttocs lake (spelled backwards to hide from Google).

#34 Porkpie

Porkpie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:43 AM

I did a survey on Instagram about the fishing and only 14% of fisherman caught brookies along highway 60, so now I guess I just have to adjust my expectations and turn this into a laker trip. Which honestly is fine because I've never caught one before and I already have a brookie episode on my channel. I also have a chance of catching a bear or moose on my trail am which is awesome. I also want highway 60 because while I'm there I want to create YouTube videos to show what people should expect from a fishing trip there, which would probably get a lot of hits too. I have mapped out already every single photo on YouTube, Ontario out of doors forum, and Instagram with a Algonquin catch, with the location on my google maps.?

Is this what fishing has become? Just one giant Internet search, to make YouTube content? Algonquin is a great place. Pack a car, head out and start hunting around. You'll find fish, and some great scenery. That's what we did when we where kids. No coordinate hunting to be done back then, we made our own coordinates! That was real content creation!