13 replies to this topic

#1 BigT555

BigT555

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

Hi folks, 

I just got into float fishing on a pin last fall, went out with a couple buddies of mine half a dozen times around the maitland/bayfield river and then last weekend we went to Niagara.  I still haven't even hooked into a fish let alone land one, and I know theres a learning curve but I think i need to change something up in my rig.  My buddies do fairly well and they've showed me the basics but what they've shown me just doesn't seem to be producing for me. So I have a couple questions to help me out a bit

How long of a leader do you use and do you put any shot on your leader line? Ive been sticking with 3-4ft. of 6lb floro with shot down to about 18" from my hook spaced about 18" apart all the way up to my float, with weight getting heavier as you go up

What do you typically use for bait, or what seems to produce the most for you?  I usually stick to either just roe or roe with a pink or chartreuse bead about 3" up from the hook

Am I correct in saying that you want your bait right at the bottom of the water column?

If you know of any guides I can find online to teach me a bit more then please let me know where I can find them, buddy has the raven float guide and said I could borrow it but he's out of town for a week or 2 and I plan on getting out again this weekend somewhere.  Other than that just general advice for a new guy would be great, I get the basics of where the fish sit, I just think i need to tweak my rig a bit more

Thanks in advance

#2 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:07 AM

you are using the wrong lures. Put some styrofoam on your hook and I guarantee you'll catch  

#3 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:08 PM

If you’re buddies are doing well and your not I would ask-them to set you up. Some times you need that bit of fine tuning to get the rig perfect. It’s not a one time setup, adjustments happen all the time, you just need to know when and how . Keep at it, that’s why it’s called fishing .

#4 BigT555

BigT555

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

Yea I'm constantly asking them questions and trying to tweak my own setup here and there lowering/raising my float & shots but I'm just looking for some outside opinions.  My buddies do OK but I almost feel as if they just get lucky at times, there are guys that we know that pull a dozen fish in a couple hours when for us, 1 fish between 2 guys is an alright day

#5 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

Know the water you're fishing. If your buddies are doing good while you're not. A simple twitch on your drift can either trigger or spook the fish. There's a reason why sometimes in 1 pool, a guy can do better than others even though almost all the set ups are identical. Every water is unique and every season they change as well. Self learning is also one of the most satisfying rewards of fishing. I used to take notes after I catch a fish. Believe it or not...it was almost a catalogue on my phone back when I was still very much into steelheading.

1. what did i caught it with...including color of roe bag / fly / plastic worm etc.

2. length of my leader...

3. time of day, was it an overcast? sunny?

4. Most importantly spots. You can fish some popular spots but if there are spots you discovered without someone fishing it...keep it.

I don't know how useful those factors are but it gives me something to key in when fishing.

Also remember that steelhead can strike differently.Sometimes they smash sometimes it's a subtle bite...that almost looks like you just hit a bump. no matter what, just set the hook. You could've missed some strikes and you don't even know it.

#6 BigT555

BigT555

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:15 PM

Thats a good idea.. will take some time but I'm going to start taking notes 

#7 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:09 PM

Unless you have the exact same rig and cast in the exact same spot, you are not guaranteed anything compared to the guy catching fish next to you.  All this takes time and experience, keep plugging away, it will all fall into place.  Focus in on one area and fish it to learn the ropes, leave jumping from spot to spot until you get a hang of things.

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

leave jumping from spot to spot until you get a hang of things.

^^^ sound advice. If you just started steelheading...focus on an area. always approach with subtlety. may 1-3 spots but just hiking hunting for fish is a lot of time & effort you're going to spend with little chance of a hook up. Opener is close by...that's your best chance to really key in on them....lots of spots to fish and fish will be biting.

#9 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

If you want an excellent guide to really improve your time on the water send a PM on Facebook to 

Bojan Živković 

Bojan Živković 

#10 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

On the Niagara I just run heavy bulk shot right at the swivel, I don't bother staggering the shots. I run a 10lb flurocarbon leader about 30" long to a swivel and then stack all of my shot right above the swivel on my main line and run the slip float above that. There's a lot of heavy currents and breaks that you fish so this helps you cut through the changing currents and get your bait down. Try running that setup with a 3" white minnow imitation 

#11 rick james

rick james

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

I feel like a newbie lately, skunked my last two outings, steelheading does that. Timing and location are huge, you could be doing everything right but if the fish are not where you’re casting, it’s going be tough. For example, in some crowded pools even a few feet can make the difference between getting you’re presentation in the strike zone or not. if one of your buddies is hooking fish on the tail-out for example see if they’ll trade spots for a bit. Good luck, keep plugging away, you’ll get em.
Tight lines,
Rick

#12 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:52 PM

i dont put weights on my leader, a lot of guys do and still catch. But i like to keep it clean and free from any wear and tear so that it doesnt break on me when i have a fish on.

One thing that wasn't mentioned, i think, was depth...which plays a big deal. If your depth is off, even by an inch, you wont catch anything. Play around with it and see what works based on water levels, current and cover. Ideally you'd like to have the bait within a foot or less of the bottom

if you're curious, my set-up, which has remained nearly identical for the last 5 years is 1-2 foot leader of 6lb fluro (seaguar), tied to main line with a swivel and weights only on main line. Bait of choice across all bodies of water is a 8mm or 10mm(dirtier water) chartreuse bead w/ size12 hook

#13 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

Weight configuration plays a big role on how your presentation will flow downstream . Always check your float position on surface. It tells you a lot about your rig and how it drifts. Don't be scared to snag break off and retie . Just remember to adjust and get that perfect length every time it happens. You will know when it's right when your getting the fish and everyone else is watching.

#14 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:53 PM

There are so many things to learn but once it all falls into place it becomes easier, Some tips from me. Learn to tell what your presentation is doing by how your float is sitting in water. I know three creeks very well and know when to fish them and what the fish like. I spent a lot of time working these three creeks and didn't bounce around much, learned one then concentrated on another. Go during the summer when water is low and clear and find the spots that still hold water and look for undercuts and small depressions this will help you catch fish others walk by when water is up. Fish the whole pool not just where everyone else is drifting, don't forget to fish your feet. Don't be afraid to mix up what you are using, many times first drift with something new works. Number one tip, set the hook on everything!! Hook sets are free, that float dips, tilts, lays back, farts, burps you set the hook on it. Number two and this is to keep fish on after you get hooked up, always keep an eye on your leader line and main line. Fishing with a pin does crazy things to line and you will be amazed how often there will be a knot in your line and always check after snagging or catching a fish.