• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

I got 6, one son got 8 the other 11. Was a good opener, we hit three creeks and pretty much fished alone.

#62 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

Yup.
Lots of people scared off after the heavy rains Wed.
You snooze you lose.
I have to laugh at the must be perfect conditions and void of other fisherman mentality.
Not much fishing to be done with those standards. Ha

#63 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:15 PM

Didn’t go out on the opener but got out with Paul 1913 on Sunday and had a blast. Can’t believe how many guys and girls trying to take fish of the reeds. I kinda loved it , we had pools to our selfs that were holding active fish. Gotta love the one day warriors.

#64 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:04 PM

Ha
Sat and Sun both considered opener.
Further north.
More fish on the redds.
44 yrs of opener.
NO question Sat always the most fish on.
Blown out river the exception.

#65 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:06 PM

Double

#66 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

Ha
Sat and Sun both considered opener.
Further north.
More fish on the redds.
44 yrs of opener.
NO question Sat always the most fish on.
Blown out river the exception.

What was your best opener as far as numbers TI?

#67 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

Funny. I don't remember the best.
20 plus on opener lots of times.
But I do remember the worst .
First two openers I just watched others success.
Different back than.
Bottom bouncing the method.
Tough go picking up the feel.
Clicked one year.
Never looked back.

#68 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:33 PM

20 fish sounds crazy. I wanna try bottom bouncing in the creeks this fall, only done it on big water.

#69 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:36 AM

My best was 27 fish 2 guys one pool. And that was a week after the opener.

#70 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

20 fish sounds crazy. I wanna try bottom bouncing in the creeks this fall, only done it on big water.

Than the float was introduced.
Takes all the guess work out and a lot more sensitive. Added bonus , you foul a lot less fish.Bottom bouncing still effective on big and or fast waters.

#71 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

I think I did more walking on opener then fishing

#72 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

Me and my son found a nice hole filled with a mix bag of steels and bows...stayed and slayed all day...

#73 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

A lot of guys fishing my home creek on Wednesday on the Redds. I just shock my head and carried on till I got to the spot I knew they would pass on. Guys where scaring fish up to me and down to me, I had a blast. Only had two hours to fish, caught twelve lost three. You should have seen that tiny pool converged on when I walked away...lol

#74 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:42 PM

Lot of dropbacks around on Sunday. Had to drop down to small flies and light line to get them to eat but I managed to go 3/9. Tough to land them with light tackle.

#75 Troutaddict

Troutaddict

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

Found a whole pile of them staged south and my girlfriend managed to bring in a really nice healthy drop back female yesterday on our lunch break. Was a great second steelhead of her life!

#76 Tubetrax

Tubetrax

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:05 PM

I couldn't care less about trout opener. I've been fishing steelhead since February. The best fishing was over weeks ago. Now, it's time to get stoked for other species.

Have fun kids, and be polite to one another. Personally, I'll be chasing the biggest crappie of the year.

Steelhead are Raibow Trout !.
Just saying,

Tight Lines
Dan

#77 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:30 AM

Genetically they are the same species but what Symmetre is saying is that he got his fix of migratory Steelhead early on just like some of us did. Now what ever is left (resident) Rainbow Trout will be available for the hotter warmer months for anyone who wants to wet a line.

#78 Symmetre

Symmetre

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

Genetically they are the same species but what Symmetre is saying is that he got his fix of migratory Steelhead early on just like some of us did. Now what ever is left (resident) Rainbow Trout will be available for the hotter warmer months for anyone who wants to wet a line.

Precisely.

Steelhead, rainbow, two names for the same fish. Call them whatever you like, they're awesome to catch, and especially when they're fresh out of the lake. The weather in January and February this year was beautiful, so fresh fish showed up early in a lot of spots. I mean double digit days with chrome silver fish and no one else around. There were times when spots like Denny's Dam and Port Hope were on fire, and there were only like 5 or 6 guys there. My buddy Rog and I took a week off work in February. When everyone else went to the fishing show, we were pounding them! I probably landed 150 fish before Easter.

That's why I said I don't care about going out on opener. After weeks of fishing like that, where's the fun in fighting the crowds for tired fish that are still in the middle of spawning?  I took my kids out and we got some slab crappies on Georgian Bay instead, it was way more fun. Great eating too!