• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Troutaddict

Troutaddict

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

Caught my fair share of steelhead and wondering if anybody can point me in the general direction of some slightly promising brown trout water. Fishing eastern tribs mostly from ajax to cobourg area. Any browns off the piers? Mouths? Northern sections? Looking to hopefully break 20 inches this year, any tips or info is greatly appreciated

#2 Symmetre

Symmetre

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

Absolutely no one is going to share info on streams that have good fishing for resident browns. Those spots are way too few, way too tough to find, and all on private property.

But your timing is good, there are some browns off the piers right now. Cast Cleos or Shad Raps early in the morning and you'll find some, along with some salmon, lakers and dropback rainbows. Go farther east, toward Kingston / Wellington area, if you really want browns, since that's where they're mostly stocked..

#3 Troutaddict

Troutaddict

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

Fair enough! Wish they'd do more brown stocking but oh well. Thanks for the tip about the piers though! Never fished em before so i wasn't really sure what to expect. Excited to try it out now. Are spoons the go to? Is it all about getting em far out in the water? Don't mean to ssk too many questions

#4 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:30 PM

You can catch them the same way you’re getting the Steelhead. You are on the right track.

#5 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:36 PM

Right now is a perfect time for shoreline browns. Piers, river mouths or any rock piles along the lake. Spoons, crank baits , spinners or jerk baits will all work. Spoon colours- blue/silver , green/glow, orange/glow are my favs . In the body baits anything natural or bright colours will also work. If your fishing stained water, using something with a darker color in the bait.

They are out there. Keep at it !

Good luck

#6 Symmetre

Symmetre

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

Casting distance isn't that important, in fact most of the fish will be close to the pier. Don't cast out 90 degrees off the pier, cast out more like 45 degrees or even along the pier wall so you're in the strike zone longer. 

Spinners work great but you gotta use a swivel or they'll twist your line like crazy. Spoons work great. Husky jerks will work. But seriously, a silver Shad Rap with a black back is just about impossible to beat. It's exactly the right size and shape, and it gets just deep enough.

The best fishing is from dawn till about 9 - 10 am. Once the sun starts penetrating deep into the water, they move deeper and farther offshore.

#7 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

big vibrax spinners work really well off piers this time of year (I've even caught one in the middle of summer around noon). Gold and orange colours work good in my experience. Make sure you go early morning (6-7am) since that's the best time. Also I never have to use swivels. IMO casting distance is just as important. Try to use a set up that allows for maximum casting distance, while still changing your retrieve to cover all depths and angles

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

I can't say much about shoreline browns...although if you're within the vicinity, I have caught browns in Bluffer's park Marina on Mepps Black Fury. just look out for the shadows that follow your spinner...it could either be brown or pike and pike is close right now. Most of the guys I know fish that outflow of pickering powerplant for them on a boat...and this is a good time for them.

#9 Troutaddict

Troutaddict

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:13 PM

All very appreciated tips!thanks everyone. Gonna head up north for some walleye fishing for Saturday, maybe stop for some secluded brookies the day before. But once i get home I'm gonna start looking for some browns!