53 replies to this topic

#1 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:49 PM

Ganny camera picking up returns.
Here's hoping they somehow actually adapt and thrive.
Last kick at the can in our area I believe.

#2 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:30 PM

will they stop wasting there money stocking them at the credit as well?

#3 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:16 PM

Hear they're installing the same camera setup the Ganny is now running, on the credit.
This will give them clear data and species identification on what's returning.

#4 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:01 AM

oh nice. I've been waiting for them to do this

#5 Tacklelogic

Tacklelogic

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:51 PM

will they stop wasting there money stocking them at the credit as well?

oh nice. I've been waiting for them to do this

And here we go again....

If it wasn't for the Atlantic Salmon Stocking Program, you would not see this high tech camera on any river.  So, which do you want? The Binbrook wine company to not sponsor the majority of funding which actually paid for this camera and numerous other studies and stream rehabilitation. Oh wait a minute.... I am sure you devoted many many countless hours planting trees along shorelines, cleaned up some detrimental log jambs which were impassable, lend a helping hand placing gabion stone and clear stone to improve some spawning habitat.

Ironically, I'm more to believe you are the type of person who complains about ALL projects and complain about why they only lifted 150 fish up over the Mill dam in Cobourg, not 500. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised you are the type of person who would eat their Mcdonalds Big Mac, fries and a big ol fountain pop, burp as you were tossing it on the ground leaving it for the next guy to pick up your mess.

Oh, I almost forgot, you are probably one of those guys who complain about yet another place being closed down due to people littering.

Cheers!

#6 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

Whoa
I was following till you went off on a tangent accusing Ibstacle of littering and eating at McDonald's.
Don't bite the hand that feeds ya theory your getting at.
True enough. But it's results that count also.
10s of millions stocked .
Returns just below the deplorable mark.
I don't think returns even amount to a full percentage point ?
Program has been less than vague with their return numbers.
I truly believe the new counter on Credit,
Once operational is going to decide the fate of future stocking there.

#7 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:29 AM

And here we go again....

If it wasn't for the Atlantic Salmon Stocking Program, you would not see this high tech camera on any river.  So, which do you want? The Binbrook wine company to not sponsor the majority of funding which actually paid for this camera and numerous other studies and stream rehabilitation. Oh wait a minute.... I am sure you devoted many many countless hours planting trees along shorelines, cleaned up some detrimental log jambs which were impassable, lend a helping hand placing gabion stone and clear stone to improve some spawning habitat.

Ironically, I'm more to believe you are the type of person who complains about ALL projects and complain about why they only lifted 150 fish up over the Mill dam in Cobourg, not 500. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised you are the type of person who would eat their Mcdonalds Big Mac, fries and a big ol fountain pop, burp as you were tossing it on the ground leaving it for the next guy to pick up your mess.

Oh, I almost forgot, you are probably one of those guys who complain about yet another place being closed down due to people littering.

Cheers!

Buddy wtf are you even saying.... stop pulling random facts out of your ass. The atlantic salmon stocking program on the credit is a waste of time and money. The river is full of small smolts (and residents) and very few adults returning. Clearly they aren't gonna make a comeback if the river isn't suitable first. I'm just saying they should put an end to this program for now and put the money towards stream rehabilitation for the brook trout and atlantic salmon

#8 Symmetre

Symmetre

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:24 PM

And here we go again....

Cheers!

Yeah, here we go again. Instead of resorting to personal attacks and babbling about French fries, why won't you just admit the truth? The atlantic program is a total failure. 

OMNR has stocked tens of millions of these things into Lake Ontario tributaries since 1984, and with nothing to show for it except excuses after excuses after excuses.

If it wasn't for the atlantic salmon program, we might have amazing fishing instead of crap. Can you imagine the fishery we could have if they spent the last 35 years managing it for coho and browns and steelhead instead? That would be a fishery to be proud of, and one that would bring in huge money from tackle sales and tourism. But no. We waste millions of dollars every year stocking unicorns that are never seen again. Its a huge waste of everyone's time and money.

Look, we tried. It didn't work. Admit defeat and move on. Manage the lake for the species that actually survive and provide a fishery. Then we could all spend more time catching fish instead of planting trees and making excuses.

#9 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:43 PM

The Atlantic salmon stocking program is part of the OMNR’s agenda to protect native species; the money that’s allocated for it isn’t to improve Ontario’s sport fishing. Other species of migratory fish can benefit from the stream rehabilitation and other work that’s been done to assist Atlantic salmon, but with the strain that was native to Lake Ontario having gone extinct, and the extremely low return rates for non-native strains, one has to question whether it’s worth continuing

#10 Symmetre

Symmetre

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:05 AM

The Atlantic salmon stocking program is part of the OMNR’s agenda to protect native species; the money that’s allocated for it isn’t to improve Ontario’s sport fishing. Other species of migratory fish can benefit from the stream rehabilitation and other work that’s been done to assist Atlantic salmon, but with the strain that was native to Lake Ontario having gone extinct, and the extremely low return rates for non-native strains, one has to question whether it’s worth continuing

Considering the results from millions and millions of fish stocked by both Ontario and New York since 1984, I think it's pretty clear that this program is a total failure and is not worth continuing at any cost.

We stocked 100,000 coho in the Credit in the late 60s, and within 2 years people were catching them all over.

We stocked 400,000 chinooks into Bronte in the early 70s, and within four years everyone was seeing them and catching them.

We've stocked untold millions of atlantics into Lake Ontario for 35 years, and most people have still never even seen one!

What more does it take to convince some people that this has been a complete and total failure?

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:40 AM

They should just call it quits with the program and focus more on what's thriving. Every major trib has shown a lot of potential for other species to thrive. Since 2012, I have caught a total 3 atlantics in one trib. I still consider them simply the odd ones that are able to return. Imagine if they stock cohos and browns instead...

#12 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:10 PM

Yeah stocking more cohos and browns would be awesome

#13 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:24 PM

120000 stocked last 2 yrs at Ganny.
30000 age 1 year. (Yearling)
3yr fish return this year.

#14 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:41 AM

https://www.instagra...y=ontariosalmon

yep for that many stocked there should be a lot more than three returning by now

#15 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:28 PM

The program’s history shows that they can get more returns with larger amounts of stocking, but even with hundreds of adults returning to a single tributary (e.g. Credit River in Summer of 2011), they’re not able to establish a natural population. Interestingly, their top biologists don’t know what the cause of the low return rate is

#16 Symmetre

Symmetre

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:20 PM

The program’s history shows that they can get more returns with larger amounts of stocking, but even with hundreds of adults returning to a single tributary (e.g. Credit River in Summer of 2011), they’re not able to establish a natural population. Interestingly, their top biologists don’t know what the cause of the low return rate is

Not true. Returns to the Credit in 2011 were 33 fish. See https://www.spoonpul...ic,19871.0.html

Time to cut our losses and move on. Why not put that same effort into steelhead? They at least survive and provide a worthwhile fishery.

#17 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:39 PM

The numbers listed there are for adults captured and transferred at the Streetsville dam. The entire run of adult Atlantics on the Credit was a lot higher based the report data gathered by the CRAA. There were enough seen and caught that summer that it made it seem like the program was a success. In reality the fish weren’t able to naturalize, and the numbers have only gone down since then

Right now the biggest misconception that I see among anglers is the idea that the money would be put towards other species of migratory fish were it not for their Atlantic salmon program. People don’t realize that the program for the purpose of protecting native species, not improving fishing

#18 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:45 PM

So 50 guys looking at the same fish = 50 Atlantic's?

#19 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:37 PM

The reports collected by the CRAA indicate that they were quite a few, with some of the largest ones not seen at Streetsville. But even such larger numbers are not any good if they’re not able to naturalize. Given the lower returns in the subsequent years, I don’t think they’ve naturalized there at all

#20 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:52 PM

The Atlantic salmon stocking program is part of the OMNR’s agenda to protect native species; the money that’s allocated for it isn’t to improve Ontario’s sport fishing.

This is the biggest point that needs to be understood in this conversation. Anglers need to realize that this program isn't about generating revenue or pleasing any specific angler group, its about attempts to reverse the damage caused by years of pollution and development across the province. The return of Atlantic Salmon would be a huge benefit to the ecosystem in the same way that planting native tree's and wildflowers on your property is better than planting foreign varieties for native wildlife species.

People love to complain and mob mentality has taken over with the public opinion on the Atlantic stocking program. Instead of seeing people complain about the low numbers I am now seeing people complain about the terrible fight they give on trolling gear. Over the years I have seen a steady increases of reported catches during the fall steelhead run, this year I have seen a very good amount of reported catches out in the lake.