6 replies to this topic

#1 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:32 AM

Hi all,

"Kind" of new to kayak fishing - I say kind of as I've been hauling a variety of smaller yaks, canoes and my former bass raider for a few years now but am getting more into kayak fishing than any of the previous.

Formerly I've just thrown things in the back and strapped the love out of them. Never had an issue so far. Now that I have a bit nicer kayak I'm wondering if anyone would recommend NOT doing that. I'm looking at a couple rack options for the truck bed but I figure why even bother getting them if I won't cause any harm to my yak just strapping it on an angle with the tailgate up.

12 foot kayak and my RAM only has the short 5'7 truck bed. So on an angle I have about 5 feet hanging over the tailgate.

#2 outdoorguy

outdoorguy

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

I would look into a kayak trailer if I were you.

#3 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:37 AM

I have a couple Hobie Pro Angler series kayaks. I car top (SUV) them on roof racks. They are very heavy and I thought about getting a trailer for them. However, think of all the added costs of having the trailer.... Insurance, storage, parking (some of the places I launch require a parking fee if you have a trailer). If costs are no issue then the trailer is the way to go. Way easier launching with a trailer than trying to lug it around manually.

The way you are doing it will be most cost effective for you. Just ensure when you are strapping them down on the angle that you do, you do not over tighten and flex/indent the yak..... Seen a guy do that. Other than that you are not causing any harm to the yak.

#4 mamona

mamona

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

I have a couple Hobie Pro Angler series kayaks. I car top (SUV) them on roof racks. They are very heavy (...)

I am wondering how you manage to load beasts like that on an SUV roof rack? 

#5 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

Lift up the bow and set it on the back of the SUV. Go around to the other end of the yak. Pick it up and slide it down the roof rack to the front of the car.... its heavy but it works.

#6 mamona

mamona

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:20 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, you are loading 140lb yak like that? Man, that's impressive. I will stop complaining about loading my 70lb :D

#7 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:05 AM

140lb is with nothing on it. Unfortunately I have made many more things permanent on it since purchasing. Base weight on mine now is close to 180lbs. But yes I am loading and unloading like that. From start to finish of my fishing day it is definitely a workout.