Photo

Always have all your documents because the OPP is doing a blitz on the water.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:26 PM

Saturday night 10:30 PM floating in the dark jigging for some Walley when a boat keeps getting closer and closer then I hear lines out of the water and they come up beside my boat and it starts.

Two RCMP officers want to see my boaters card - Check.

They want to see our fishing licenses - Check.

They want to see all the boat safety gear - Check.

They give me a breathalyzer - Pass.

They want to see my fish but I told them I don't keep fish, I think they had a hard time believing that because I'm hard core and was out that late. They asked about 4 times to see the live well - don't have one, see my fish string - Don't keep fish. 

Then they searched the boat opened all the compartments asked the same questions 2-3 times and after 30 min and all being in order they left. I'm sure they thought they had a bust.

The empties didn't help matters but I keep the garbage and recycling on the boat rather than in camp.

Always have everything you need to be legal even in the middle of the night when you think no one is around because it's nervous going through that and it helps when they ask for something and you just have it to hand over.

Over all they were pretty nice and it was good to see they were looking for poacher and enforcing the fire ban.

Too many SM to count a couple nice pike 35+" and one Walley around 16" (at night).

And don't forget your hat because I'm a red lobster this week with raccoon eyes.

#2 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:25 PM

Not too many places you can hide fish on boat. Empty’s on a boat can be suspicious. Good on you for having your documents and boat in order.

#3 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:12 PM

Thank you for the tip fisherman2280

I do have a question. Is it even legal for OPP to search the boat without probable cause. I understand your boat has actually been searched. I do understand that you had nothing to hide and cooperated with officers. I myself would gladly provide all necessary documents and licenses and answer questions. Searching boat compartments without  any indication of wrongdoing is where line should be drawn in my modest opinion. Or do i watch to many TV cop shows? :???:

Can someone with legal background clarify this please?

#4 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:11 PM

You know when your in that situation all alone in the dark with two officers staring down at you from there big ass boat you just do what they say especially if you really have nothing to hide. I did get very nervous even thought I know I'm totally legal.

It goes yes sir no sir here is the card sir and sure I can open that and that and that. It's not like they tossed the boat and to clarify they had me open all the compartments but under orders to do so.

Over all they weren't jerks or anything and just doing there job. I'll take them looking for poachers and drunks on the water over a little inconvenience for me. 

#5 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:40 AM

I've done the schooling and done the job....They need probable cause and/or reason to believe that you are committing a crime. If they have neither then you have the right to refuse the search. However, if you do so make sure all your "P's" and "Q's" are in check cuz now they are gonna try and find anything to get you. Some have that terrible mentality and those are the ones that give law enforcement officers the bad rap.

You having empties on board was their reason to believe. That warrants the unwanted presence on the boat. So now they think you are intoxicated.... anything they check and do is compounded from there. I was trained to ask the same thing in multiple ways to see if you slip up or your story changes. If it changes all credibility goes overboard. Now they have reason to believe that you are hiding something

I've flat out refused to roll down my window at a ride check one night just cuz I was in a mood and know my rights. Cop was completely caught off guard cuz I wouldn't speak nor acknowledge his presence outside my door. He called his staff Sargent over.... he tried the same thing for a couple mins then said thank you and be on your way. All without me saying a word.

Know your rights ppl and gain that confidence! 

#6 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:04 AM

If you have nothing to hide...just give them the satisfaction of doing the search...refusing although within your rights will only make them suspicious. You wouldn't want your fishing to be hurdled by the popos....

#7 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:26 AM

Cops need probably cause, CO's don't have those limitations. They can even search your house of they think immediate action is needed.

#8 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

Chrome bullets that’s the first time I have ever heard of someone refusing to roll down their window while being stopped at a RIDE check. The sole purpose of this program is to keep drunk drivers off the roads and educate the public. Those cops that let you go should have been suspended for allowing you through , cowards.

#9 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:07 AM

I’m surprised you didn’t just pull a u turn if you were not in the mood LOL.

#10 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:19 PM

Cops need probably cause, CO's don't have those limitations. They can even search your house of they think immediate action is needed.

We are blessed to live in the country where they have to convince a judge that such actions were absolutely necessary after  the search

You know when your in that situation all alone in the dark with two officers staring down at you from there big ass boat you just do what they say especially if you really have nothing to hide. I did get very nervous even thought I know I'm totally legal.

I am not criticizing you 2280 I would probably do the same under the circumstances.

#11 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:25 AM

And this is where your rights come in. You are absolutely right that they are there to educate the public and to make sure that you are driving safe.... However, the law states that they cannot stop you unless you are suspected of committing a crime, or they have reason to believe you have committed a crime.... So let me ask you this. You are now stopped at a ride program. Have you committed a crime? Do they suspect you of committing a crime? If the answer is no, then YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT. This is also the first thing we are required by law to inform you of while we are taking you into custody.

I was a law enforcement officer for awhile and this was one that we are not allowed to touch. We can ask all the questions we want but they cant do anything if we have not committed a crime. They would have been suspended and or placed on administrative leave if they would have forced anything from me UNJUSTIFIED. Been sitting in court and watched a Judge throw the book a cop for forcing a guy out of his car because he wouldn't talk. Direct violation of our civil rights.

And the last bit of information.... You don't believe it. Youtube it. Hundreds of ppl record themselves doing this exact same thing at hundreds of ride checks. They have also taken it further and do this at customs check points now. That is ballsy and I didn't think would fly the first time I watched it, but it did. They guy was asked to move to secondary check after refusing the first. Commander came out asked him why he was doing this and they just wanted to know if his was a citizen. Guy didn't say anything, commander seen the camera on him and said "you may pass and have yourself a great day." Not once did the cops ever win. Nor did the customs agent.  :mrgreen:

This is also me. I've been there and I know the laws and rights so I am very aware as to what I am able to legally do and not do. Im not saying to do this cuz you are gonna piss the cop off. Im just saying you legally can. MNR is governed by a different set of laws than the RCMP... I am referring to police officers. 

#12 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:13 AM

If you pull a "U" turn then that would give them reason to believe and suspect you are hiding something.... Then the above does not apply LMAO.... know your rights!

#13 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:40 AM

So we should all just sit there with our windows up mute and wait for the cop to tell us to drive on hahahaha that is hilariousl bud.

#14 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:20 AM

Doesnt matter if you believe it or not.... its the law and they are not above it.... proof is everywhere research it... youtube it. You are right. It is halarious watching their reactions.

#15 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 10:26 PM

I was pulled over a few weeks ago while yak fishing in Simcoe. The CO’s were great and just asked if I had the license and all the emergency stuff. I showed them and then they pointed me in the direction to were bigger bass and pike were. Was my first time being pulled over on the water and I was a bit nervous but that went away quick. And they actually pointed me in a fantastic direction

#16 Porkpie

Porkpie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:09 PM

Nm

#17 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:53 PM

Not too many places you can hide fish on boat.

On a stringer tied to your anchor on the bottom of the lake :ph34r:

#18 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:37 PM

On a stringer tied to your anchor on the bottom of the lake :ph34r:

Your just evil.