• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Wpgfisherman99

Wpgfisherman99

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:28 PM

Hey guys Is there any tips on Drop shot fishing for Bass.. My Buddy says its all he ever does ....I think i have caught 3 smallies in my life and that was with Jig minnow...))))) What type of rod/reelset up is Best for this as well Thanks...

#2 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:58 AM

Drop shotting is a great technique and will quickly become one of your favourite ways to catch bass.

I have 2 drop shot rods. 1 for deeper water and 1 for shallower water.  

-For deeper water I use a 7'2 medium heavy rod with an extra fast tip paired with a 2500 sized spinning reel

-for shallower water I use a 6'10 medium light rod with extra fast tip paired with a 1000 sized spinning reel.

I'd recommend a rod  medium to medium heavy action 6'9 - 7'2 with a fast or extra fast action tip. 

Whats your budget? 

#3 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

I use MH on drop shot. one spinning and one baitcaster. even while kayak fishing, I still do drop shots.

I vary my baits on it. but the most productive plastic I put are the zoom worms. or senko wacky.

Attached Images

• bass.jpg

#4 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:58 PM

I catch bare bass on the drop shot. Whether you are fishing creeks/rivers, docks, shallow/deep water you will catch fish. I have a friend that pretty much only uses the drop shot when he is bass fishing. I find that a minnow style bait works best. You get way more bites than using a big worm. Also forget about using a MH rod or a bait caster.... it's just over kill. Stick with a medium or ML rod 

#5 Wpgfisherman99

Wpgfisherman99

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

Drop shotting is a great technique and will quickly become one of your favourite ways to catch bass.

I have 2 drop shot rods. 1 for deeper water and 1 for shallower water.  

-For deeper water I use a 7'2 medium heavy rod with an extra fast tip paired with a 2500 sized spinning reel

-for shallower water I use a 6'10 medium light rod with extra fast tip paired with a 1000 sized spinning reel.

I'd recommend a rod  medium to medium heavy action 6'9 - 7'2 with a fast or extra fast action tip. 

Whats your budget? 

Im cheap lol ... I just picked up 5'6 fenwick med heavy ...

#6 Wpgfisherman99

Wpgfisherman99

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

Does the type of line make a big difference .??.. Personally i think they do the same thing catch fish ...

#7 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

Does the type of line make a big difference .??.. Personally i think they do the same thing catch fish ...

Yes, absolutely line makes a difference. You’re going to want to have fluorocarbon where your bait is. “fluoro” is totally invisible to fish. Dropshotting is a slow finesse technique and will often let the fish have a really good look at your bait so you want the line to be invisible. Absolute best way is to have a braided main line tied to a fluorcarbon leader. My my main line is always 8-12 briaded line and leader is always 8lb. A braided main line will allow you to feel the bites as is really sensitive and the Fluoro leader will allow your bait to be invisible . Tie the 2 lines together with a “uni to uni” knot. YouTube will offer many videos on how to tie 2 lines together.

Sure, using monofilament will work for dropshotting but best results will be what I outlined above. Others will likely chime in what works for them but that’s what works for me .

Ps... I’d say 9 out of 10 biggest bass I’ve caught in my life have been on a drop shot. Biggest over 7 lbs!

Good luck.

#8 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:36 PM

“fluoro” is totally invisible to fish. 

Okay fluoro isn't totally invisible to the fish. I'm surprised you think that. Fluorocarbon is just LESS visible than mono is. Why do you think people use as low as 3lb test fluoro for steelhead

#9 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:09 PM

Okay fluoro isn't totally invisible to the fish. I'm surprised you think that. Fluorocarbon is just LESS visible than mono is. Why do you think people use as low as 3lb test fluoro for steelhead

That’s hearsay. Unless you’re a fish, no real way to tell if fluoro is totally invisible..... I’ll also add that fluoro has less stretch than monofilament. When your dropshotting, the less stretch the better.

I think people use 3lb fluoro for steelhead is because they need that extra low profile. Especially when 100 people line the bank fishing 1 pool.

#10 Wpgfisherman99

Wpgfisherman99

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:34 PM

Do you guys ever use drop shots Ice fishing season ???

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

I think there's a slight difference. but on clear water is where a low vis fluoro will be an advantage. I have a hi vis raven I took from a centerpin and use them drop shotting on high cover weed lines. Still catching them. I like hunting bass on high cover weeds because you know, that's where the "bigguns" are. That's one reason I always use MH rod.

#12 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:54 PM

Do you guys ever use drop shots Ice fishing season ???

Yes they do.

#13 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

My one rod is a drop shot( live minnow) and the other is a spoon , crank or other hard bait to lure them in while ice fishing.