• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chinook2835

chinook2835

Sunfish

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:50 PM

so after 4 uses my waders ripped after a salmon I caught trashed and somehow caused a gash in them and after talking to people on the river a lot of the people had leaky or weren't satisfied with the waders they bought so I was wondering what brands you would recommend for just river fishing in the warmer times and I'm willing to spend enough for a good pair 

also I have to mention the fish that caused this was a 30 lbs male an absolute beast of a specimen was the most fun I've had fishing

#2 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:19 PM

My first pair of waders that I got for like $50 from sail (hodgman) started to rip/leak after 1 season of using them. I just used them and dumped the water out when I was done. But this year they were so ripped there was no point wearing them. Last August I bought a pair of Hodgman chest waders for $18. I used them a lot already for salmon fishing this season and they don't have a single rip (just buy a pair of boots to go with them if you don't have any). My friend has also been using them for a couple of years now and has no problems with them.

However if you are willing to spend the money, get some high quality simms waders. 

https://www.amazon.c...=hodgman waders

#3 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:42 PM

Get wading pants instead. More convenient. Redingtons are great and not as expensive. $175 will last you 3+ seasons...

#4 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:08 PM

Congratulations on your catch chinook  :)

May I leech a little on your tread and ask for neoprene waders advice as well please?

From my own experience stay away from White River waders.

#5 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:44 PM

They all leak

#6 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

I like the Reddington Sonic Pro's I have been using for around 5 years. They now have a few very slow leaks in the feet, so slow that I sometimes question if it is just sweat but im pretty sure they are leaks. Not bad after 5 years of use, three of those years I was getting out with them pretty often.

#7 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 01:34 AM

I got some Simms Headwaters that were $300 when I picked em up. Had them for about 3 years now and no issues.

#8 Drew D

Drew D

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:24 PM

Patagonia. On yr 5 and not a single issue. They see the water at least 3-4 times a week. 

#9 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:00 AM

You must take really good care of your waders with that kind of usage, are you guiding or something putting your waders on that many times a week? The seams on the boots of my reddingtons have been roughed up from pebbles and sand getting into my old boots that had a bunch of holes in them otherwise they would probably be fine still. But 3-4 times a week for 5 years?? I would have a hard time believing that with Simms G4 waders.

#10 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:38 PM

I have entry level SIMMS, beat the poop out of them.  They leaked, after who knows how many years of torture, drunk falls and chili farts.  They go to work with me and the harsh chemicals I work with, patched up and waterproof. 

#11 Drew D

Drew D

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:57 AM

You must take really good care of your waders with that kind of usage, are you guiding or something putting your waders on that many times a week? The seams on the boots of my reddingtons have been roughed up from pebbles and sand getting into my old boots that had a bunch of holes in them otherwise they would probably be fine still. But 3-4 times a week for 5 years?? I would have a hard time believing that with Simms G4 waders.

Retired. Have lots of time to fish, Not a guide just enjoy my fishing, the waders have zero leaks they are the Rio Gallegos Front Zip

, yes I have some fraying on the suspenders and a rip on the pocket the booties are worn but no leaks or rips and seams are still in tact, But sound in all other ways, Always hang to dry and always clean all grit and sand from them. I am not overly hard on my waders...… maybe has to do to my age and the fact I don't do a lot of bush beating or maybe just been lucky with my waders. As far as boots I wear Patagonia foot tractor.

#12 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:36 PM

I have entry level SIMMS, beat the poop out of them. They leaked, after who knows how many years of torture, drunk falls and chili farts. They go to work with me and the harsh chemicals I work with, patched up and waterproof.

Ha ha ha
Honesty the best policy.
Got a great deal myself.
I'm so cheap it had to be a deal for me to switch.
Pant style headwaters.
I'm happy with them.

#13 Tyler0420

Tyler0420

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

Simms freestone waders. Fished hard for 4-5 years, tons of bush wacking, no leaks till I put a few hooks and a knife through them. Bought another pair this year. New style doesn’t come with the inside pocket, just the zipper so you can spend another 80$ On a pocket. Wtf my first pair came with the pocket inside. New G3 boots, love them.

#14 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:04 PM

I bought Bushline chest waders 8+ years ago, not expensive ones, I think I paid about $50....Never leaked