4 replies to this topic

#1 jeffevans

jeffevans

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:18 AM

Hello guys,

I am an aspiring angler who loves to fish during my free time. I have spent a good amount of my life floating on water, holding a rod and waiting for a catch. Now I want to level up my self as an angler. I am planning to purchase a canoe to support my hobby. I hope inflatable canoe will be within my budget since it cost around $500; at least that's what I heard.

Here are my requirements

It should last long Hull should be strong, I want to take my kids with me occasionally

Should support rod holders Air pump (Optional)

Capacity: 3 adults should be able to sit comfortably

Mounting points for a trolling-motor-mount (optional)

I am not sure whether to buy a used boat or a new one. I haven't owned a kayak or canoe ever before. So, I lack technical knowledge. I don't know how to maintain it either. But, I want to own one as soon as possible because I have promised my kids that we will go to Algonquin Park for fishing at the end of this month.

So, please help me on how to buy a good canoe that meets my requirements.

#2 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:54 PM

Don't go with an inflatable canoe they really suck and you can pick up a decent used canoe for way less that 500. Especially if you have kids and the lures get all over the place it can get messy. 

Maintenance is pretty easy, cover it up in winter and give it a wash in the spring. They don't take much to look after just don't let it fill with water and rot turn it over.

Make sure it has a keel and isn't a flat bottom. Those flat bottoms are not as steady in water and a nice steady canoe when fishing is a must.

As for the canoes weight the light ones are great if you plan to portage but if it's a little heavier you feel safer and the wind isn't as big of a problem and you can put a trolling motor on the side of a sturdy canoe. I

Those plastic monsters you see in Canadian tire stay far away from there too heavy and slow.

Fiberglass single keel and don't use those stupid seats they might help your back but not your stability. 

Last thing is don't get sold on those sails either, we got one to try out on a portage trip and it was pointless.

You should not be going on the water in a canoe with your kids in Algonquin at this time of year when your new to the game. Play it safe and wait till next year.

#3 jeffevans

jeffevans

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:22 AM

Don't go with an inflatable canoe they really suck and you can pick up a decent used canoe for way less that 500. Especially if you have kids and the lures get all over the place it can get messy. 

Maintenance is pretty easy, cover it up in winter and give it a wash in the spring. They don't take much to look after just don't let it fill with water and rot turn it over.

Make sure it has a keel and isn't a flat bottom. Those flat bottoms are not as steady in water and a nice steady canoe when fishing is a must.

As for the canoes weight the light ones are great if you plan to portage but if it's a little heavier you feel safer and the wind isn't as big of a problem and you can put a trolling motor on the side of a sturdy canoe. I

Those plastic monsters you see in Canadian tire stay far away from there too heavy and slow.

Fiberglass single keel and don't use those stupid seats they might help your back but not your stability. 

Last thing is don't get sold on those sails either, we got one to try out on a portage trip and it was pointless.

You should not be going on the water in a canoe with your kids in Algonquin at this time of year when your new to the game. Play it safe and wait till next year.

Thank you, fisherman2280.

You seem very knowledgeable on this subject. Can you please suggest me few models and configurations that I should consider while purchasing a canoe for needs like this?

#4 hz75

hz75

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:44 PM

Thank you, fisherman2280.

You seem very knowledgeable on this subject. Can you please suggest me few models and configurations that I should consider while purchasing a canoe for needs like this?

I am interested to learn this too. Thanks.

#5 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:17 PM

Who cares about the model or color and the configuration is all the same unless you go with those plastic monstrosities.

Is it safe stable and a reasonable price? Then giver its only a canoe not some big bass boat.

I picked up a big chief 17 ft near mint for $100 last summer all because they just wanted it gone, we actually gave it away as a present. 

The one before that I called green beast and she was only 50 bucks but ok that was 15 years ago now. She was 17ft and the ugliest canoe on the water but she was a superstar and lasted all this time.

Don't let make or model keep you off the water just do some search's and keep you eye out for that person who needs it gone.

Best time of the year to buy is probably now anyways.

Good luck.