Photo

Hey, Only fished with regular hooks and looking expand my gear.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kyvan

Kyvan

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:12 PM

What would you guys reccomend for a general tacklebox to have, Especially when hard to get live bait like nightcrawlers.

I already have a few lures like Rapla Minnow, I'm still new to fishing and I wanna learn what lures and plastic baits to uses and have.

#2 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:40 AM

There are very few universal lures. It depend on what species you are targeting in what body of water and what weather conditions. Considering you are just starting I am assuming you are fishing from shore.

To build a beginners set I would suggest couple of each in different weight. 

In-line spinners is the most universal lure

top-water lures aka frogs for summer bass 

deep diving lures used when you need the lure to get closer to the bottom of the hole in small river

shallow running I assume your Rapalas are this variety

spoons (maybe weedless) to get some pike from the cover

for salmon the big noisy bright lures seem to be annoying the fish enough to strike.

After all my dad used to fish walleye with DIY lures made from the stainless still spoons. Mom was always wondering why the spoons are disappearing from the house :)

I personally do not care about brand names for that reason would not name any.  Aliexpress lures worked the same as branded ones for me. 

We all eventually making our lure park grow but do not go nuts at the beginning. Give it a try and you will figure out what you need eventually.