Photo

Niagara River Late Spring Fishing (Videos)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 popofish

popofish

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:24 AM

If you haven't had the chance to fish the Niagara river this spring, I would highly advise it :) It's been some of the best fishing in years. The cooler water temperatures are keeping the steelhead in there longer than usual and they are VERY agressive. There are also some lakers in there as well.

Do make sure to take your time when riveving the steelhead though as the water temps are not cold enough for them to just easily swim off like in the winter months.

Here is a few videos from the past week. Enjoy, share and subscribe to the youtube channel to similar content!

#2 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:08 AM

Nice videos

How long do you think steelhead will still be in there (whirlpool area)?

#3 popofish

popofish

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

Probably until the end of June and that's about it. The water temps are going up slowly so I can tell that they are close to being gone but perhaps there will be some lake trout in there after them. The lake trout numbers haven't been good this year, I've caught a few this spring but normally the whirlpool is full with them this time of year.

#4 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:46 AM

Yeah I noticed a lot more steelhead being caught this year and not as many lake trout. 

I think it was a really good run of steelhead for lake Ontario tributaries this spring. I caught a lot more fish this spring than last year and the year before that.