• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

I’ve recently been moding out my yak, put a lowrance fish finder, switches and bright nav lights, custom pontoons with a catamaran style to them. Live well if needed, 4 extra rod holders. And I’m currently modding the seat again to make it swivel and add storage for 6 extra Plano boxes. Also has the work table top, cup holder, water drinking system built into the back of the seat. Oh and Bluetooth connected music

It’s a lifetime tamarack angler 100 but souped up. Had it out in Georgian bay in white caps no problems at all trolling divers etc...
Stable as can be, with the pontoons I can walk everywhere on this yak with no fear, even on the catamaran.
I know these are not the best pictures but if your interested I can try to take more, any questions just ask!!!!

Happy fishing and cheats

Attached Images

• 4DB3DCB9-21C4-4253-AFA9-7E7363E04CC1.jpeg
  • A45345D7-A947-4DC8-B2BE-20CBEE659706.jpeg
  • C0E2F5DC-5CDF-4C2E-8B9D-6700758CBE23.jpeg
  • F4691272-AC59-48DA-AC86-8D8CC5D1E07A.jpeg
  • D7F8FB84-252B-4BB2-BD10-2CD96DAD9A7B.jpeg
  • 99373709-3074-47B3-AA5F-46F1C88D1639.jpeg

#2 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:22 PM

There is no limits to perfection :) Great job following your passion. Better pictures would be definitely nice.

Reminds me of a joke " Our jumbo plain has two bars, movie theater sauna and swimming pool on-board. Now please fasten your seat belts and we will try to take off with all this crap."
Don't take it as a criticism please. I myself is a proponent of minimizing the amount of tackle on my yak. On another hand I do have two down-riggers on :D
today's trip68a68b1276060834.jpg

#3 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:36 PM

No criticism taken at all!
It all matters to what I’m going for and to how long I’m out as to what exactly I load up with.
But it is designed to be able to take as much as possible if needed, especially for portage trips or a few days out.
Also designed it for comfort and stability.
The one picture of me holding a walleye is from a three day trip I did camping at the side of the grand river, it was fully loaded for that

#4 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:18 AM

Trust me man. It never stops. Once you get yours the way you want it then you will go buy a whole other setup just to take ppl with you lol. Then you start obsessing about decking the new one out.

Attached Images

• July 2019 1.jpg
  • July 2019 2.jpg

#5 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:50 AM

First I’d like to say, Chrome I’m a big fan watched all your videos. You’ve been one of my inspirations since I started kayak fishing!
Secondly your flipping right it never ends I’m constantly finding new things to either tweek or do, lol....

#6 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:59 AM

I don’t have the money for one of those top end kayaks and I’m a backyard tinkerer as everyone likes to say about me, so why not just make a low end one into a top end one.... backyard junk and a lot of thinking pays off.... I made my pontoons out of an old kids picnic table an old light weight garden trellis and a few pieces of plexiglass laying around. Configured the rod holders with cheap pvc some pipe to extend them higher like a Scotty boom holder.and used old rod holders from a salmon long lining chair.

#7 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:03 PM

Good stuff. I know you guys have pedal kayaks...I just bought a Pelican 120...Do you think it can handle Lake Ontario? Not really going after the big salmon hogs but just want to target Lake Ontario bass when water is flat...I didn't get the pelican pedal kayak. just the standard.

#8 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:18 PM

My yak is a lifetime tamarack angler 120.
Before any mods I ran 1 downrigger in swells and white caps out on Georgian bay with absolutely no issues, actually at that point I did mod the seat to be higher
So my guess is if your going for bass along shoreline and the Toronto islands you would be fine.
Now for safety I would make sure you have all the stuff needed, life jacket, bail bucket, soak sponge, whistle etc etc... always best to be safe then sorry

#9 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:26 PM

i Apologize if I came off like you didn’t know about safety, I’m just personally very self conscious about it.
There is definitely some really cool stuff you can do with a pelican catch 120, Some of the mods I have done are from YouTube videos on that yak.

#10 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:13 AM

DILLIGAF -- Your yak can handle it. Just watch the winds and go on days less than 10kmh. If you have seen any of my vids it is like glass out there a lot of the time im out. Anything over 10kmh I would not try in a yak like yours.

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:29 PM

Thanks guys...I've been fly fishing most of the time since trout opener and finally got the budget to get the Pelican 120...I'm happy paddling it along Otonabee river, Whitby Harbour, Bluff & Frenchman's bay but would like to try it along the shorelines of Lake Ontario.

@Chrome, I always watch your videos and some of them you are bang on that it's flat and glass...how do you monitor weather, wind & temp? Need to rewatch those to get more info where you usually fish...I'm not sure if you mentioned the areas you fish or launch...I really just want to try my yak out there in those conditions...again, bought this generally for musky, bass walleye...I don't think i'd spend more $$$ just to rig for salmon...that would come later.

#12 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:42 PM

Here is couple of links for wind and weather monitoring https://weather.gc.c...11&siteID=08207

https://www.windfind...3.6664/-78.9759

Here is the navigation maps https://webapp.navio...&key=ovsiGvt}{M