• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FishingAddiction

FishingAddiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:02 PM

So I’ve been fishing for salmon and trout my whole life and I’ve noticed something this year that I haven’t seen in a long time.
While watching some of the fish ladder camera’s the last few days I’ve noticed an abundance of salmon and trout entering the ladders already.
This reminds me of when I was a kid and fishing up in Owen sound, but like I said it’s been a long time for which I have seen this many so early.
Could this be because the waters have been higher than usual and have not warmed up to what they would usually be?
Now I know it’s still to early but is it possible that there could be early runs this year, just find it strange considering we haven’t even had a ton of rain and to me still feels way to hot to even expect to see anything running up...

#2 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:41 AM

Launched from a local port on Lake Ontario at 4am Sunday morning. Still black outside. I turned on side imaging from the yak and set it so I could see both banks. I was surprised to see the number of Fish coming in and heading up river already. When I got to the mouth and out to about 60FOW surface temps were 55F. That is cold enough to bring em in. It all about the water temps right now.... Its cold enough for them to go.

#3 Trev

Trev

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:52 PM

It might be worth doing some pier casting before it gets light in the morning.

#4 BRMZ

BRMZ

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

Last weekend I did mark unusual amount of fish at 20ft of water water close to the mouth of the creek. It might be an indication of early staging in my opinion.

#5 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

there is an early run every year on eastern lake ontario tribs

go to any creek or river and they'll be in there

#6 TI Redux

TI Redux

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:45 PM

there is an early run every year on eastern lake ontario tribs

go to any creek or river and they'll be in there

X2 west also after any half decent rainfall.
Always a few over anxious teen salmon . Lol

#7 Symmetre

Symmetre

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:34 PM

Last weekend I did mark unusual amount of fish at 20ft of water water close to the mouth of the creek. It might be an indication of early staging in my opinion.

Might also be an indication of sheepshead. Or carp.