• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Allan goes fishing

Allan goes fishing

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 09:03 AM

Hi, new subsriber here. I have a old fly reel never used. Jw Young and sons 1530 series. It is 3.5 inches in diameter. I thought it is a #6wt or #7wt maybe #8wt??
I am interested in purchasing a spey or switch rod 7wt, 11 ft and was wondering if this would be a appropiate reel. I researched spey reels and they say to oversize the reel, but wouldnt that be too havy? Does anyone have any info on this reel?

#2 Allan goes fishing

Allan goes fishing

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 09:31 AM

I may have forgott to introduce myself. My name is Allan, I have been fly fishing for many years primarly for Pike and Musky with #9 and #10 fly rod. I have been interested in trying a spey or switch fly rod. I fly fish from a canoe, I use a 9 ft rod and thought it would be better sitting with a longer rod. In my local fishing store longer fly rods are spey rods. Any info on spey or switch rod set up would be appreciated thanks Allan

#3 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:51 AM

Welcome,

It's been a few years since I busted out the fly fishing gear but I'd be interested to hear more about fly fishing for musky that sounds fun.

#4 Allan goes fishing

Allan goes fishing

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:30 PM

Hi, it is a lot of fun on a fly rod #9 or #10 wt at 9 ft long. The catch vibrates the rod and they hit on the fly hard. I think fly's looks more natural in the water. We use fly's 4" to 12" long, hook size 3/0 to 5/0. Combinations of halloween colours.I have been dedicated to pike and musky on the fly for about 5 yrs now. I have caught many pike average size 4Lbs to 8lbs. I have to confess though in 5 yrs have only caught one musky. Measured in at 32". No time to check for weight he was pissed off. Had to guess 10 to 12 Ibs. They are a hard fish to catch, but once you get one. Your hooked for life.

#5 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:49 PM

I understand that with Musky being hard to man handle them and get a decent pic and release in good condition.

My pic of my 42" monster is blurry because it was raining but ow well.

https://www.groupepronature.ca/ when I was travelling by I stopped here and they has some monster size flies you might be interested in.