• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 marcusfederico31

marcusfederico31

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:13 PM

hello everyone I am Marcus and new to the forum, I have a few questions to ask about brook trout fishing at a local lake near my house. The ice has been out for roughly two weeks now at the local lake and ive tried numerous times for some ice out brooks ( catch n release ofc), with practically zero luck at all, ive throw blue foxes, to jerkabits and no bites at all. The water tempatuere is just about 50F on the shore and this was yesterday I checked, with this week being really warm will defiantly help warm it up. So, does anyone have any tips like what depth to fish, more lures to fish, and why am I struggling so much to get some trout, even through ice out is supposed to be very good? last year I was hammering them towards the mid may year but last years weather was much colder than this years at least so far. if you have any tips on baits, water depth and structure to fish, and water temperature please respond as I am open to anything, im just very puzzled on why im not getting any a action from fish latletly, and do you think with the weeks worth of 15-20c weather will help me? thanks Marcus

#2 Rayk

Rayk

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 01:55 PM

Marcus, did you ever get back on your lake and have some success? I fish for lake bookies anywhere between the April opener and mid may, which means actual “ice out” could of been very recently or even many weeks ago, but we still catch fish (most of the time). My best year was fishing the 1st week of May, 2 months after iceout, but have also had good catches as late as mid May, 1 week after iceout.  Either way, the water temps were around 10c.

Note…..Brook Trout love sucker eggs and suckers spawn at iceout wherever they find water flowing into a lake, so look for a stream flowing INTO your lake and observe. If you see suckers, go for it. Suckers egg flies are my choice. 

Rayk