• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Citybass

Citybass

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

Hey guys there is a pond in Thornhill the pond is at Dufferin and clark it is called Marita Payne pond I fish there a lot and I have caught bass 0.5-3 pound range, carp 2-7 pound range and black crappie, sunfish and catfish. The best time to fish here is from 7-11 in the morning and at night 6-9. The best baits to use : bass - topwater frogs , spinners and night crawlers. Carp - worms and corn. Other panfish - worm, minnow and small spinner. Last year in the summer i also caught a pike that was 14 inches long on a spinner but i haven't caught one since but there might be a few pike in there as well. Another good location for all the fish I just mentioned is in G ross lord park in the reservoir, i have caught 4 pound bass in there last year on worms but i don't suggest using lures besides minnow imitators.

#22 richardjai

richardjai

Sunfish

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

theres still fish in g ross?

i heard they drained the place after that kid drowned

#23 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Ive fished a few ponds around my area ( Richmond hill and Vaughan)

Ive always wondered HOW fish end up in these ponds? I mean...most of them are just storm drain and retention ponds...

I wondered the same thing in Florida. Seems like anything with more than 2FOW has fish in it. One of my homes down there is in a gated community. One night out of straight boredum and we had been drinking. My cousin-in-law and I decided to go out to this retention pond in the middle of the development and throw a line out. We ended up catching blue gill, bass other pan fish all of which must have been between 1-3lbs. The pond might be the size of 2 football fields. From what we could tell no deeper than 8' anywhere.

I did speak with a sales rep @ Gander mountain(Large American chain of outdoors store). His explination was pretty simple.

1. Birds that feed at the waters edge end up with fish eggs stuck to thier legs, they fly off and alot of the time "cross populate" waters.

2. Storms wash small fish/nests inland and into storm run offs. The stronger fish survive.

3. in the case of invasive species, people just throw thier un-wanted pets in the waters.

Up there I would imagine eggs could end up on the legs of fish, storms-maybe. I can see alot of people taking fish out of waters and placing them in "new" bodies of water., re-locating if you will.

#24 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'm sure Ijay has it correct with birds and ducks transferring eggs from one pond to another.

#25 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Thats good to know, Now this may be a stupid quest but are there even fish in some of these ponds lol? they look like pits that were used to pump out water from construction sites into.

You'd be surprise what you can pull out of some storm drains we have in the GTA...I'm talking about fish...

#26 Drop_Shot

Drop_Shot

Sunfish

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

I've explored the ponds in Vaughan, and found some very productive fisheries...  Just have to explore...

And Please do practice Catch and Release..  A) you don't want to destroy your delicate Urban fisheries close to you, since being so small, couldn't sustain a catch and keep fishery...

and B) .. I doubt you'd want to be ingesting mercury, motor oil, coolant, windshield wiper fluid, possibly house paint, car wash soap, pesticide... You get the picture! lol

#27 ihtus

ihtus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

Hey guys there is a pond in Thornhill the pond is at Dufferin and clark it is called Marita Payne pond I fish there a lot and I have caught bass 0.5-3 pound range, carp 2-7 pound range and black crappie, sunfish and catfish. The best time to fish here is from 7-11 in the morning and at night 6-9. The best baits to use : bass - topwater frogs , spinners and night crawlers. Carp - worms and corn. Other panfish - worm, minnow and small spinner. Last year in the summer i also caught a pike that was 14 inches long on a spinner but i haven't caught one since but there might be a few pike in there as well. Another good location for all the fish I just mentioned is in G ross lord park in the reservoir, i have caught 4 pound bass in there last year on worms but i don't suggest using lures besides minnow imitators.

I tried to fish at Marita pond, about 30mins with worms, nothing...

the water was very turbid

#28 fisherman kid

fisherman kid

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:22 PM

There are a good few spots in york region you can go too. Secret gems!

whats the spot?

#29 Prov87

Prov87

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:30 PM

Just wanted to post an update, fished a pond in Vaughan two days in a row with no success, lots of small stuff being caught by younger kids...not sure what the rules are about posting exact location but I don't know if there is anything over half a lb in there

#30 fimbass

fimbass

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:14 PM

Has anyone ever caught anything on ponds 78, 79, or 80. I live pretty close by and was wondering if it would be worth casting a line there.